Wednesday 15 June 2016

Ultimate Guitar/Pedalboard/Amp Shop In Hong Kong! UNI-SOUND [Interview;H...


I have Monday's off from my 6 nights/week gig in Shenzhen so I have to make the most of it. Surprisingly, Shenzhen doesn't have that many (if any) high quality music instrument stores so I have to take the 45 minute ferry from Shekou across to Hong Kong central if I want to get some decent quality guitar gear. Enter Uni-Sound owned by Brian Chan - a total guitar and guitar gear guru.

Brian is one of the few if not the only stockist of Fractal Audio, Mission, Strymon and a host of other boutique type gear in Hong Kong, Macau, and Guangdong. What makes this even cooler is that his shop is based in what appears to be an apartment building replete with barred windows and doors on the outside and inside of the building. In the video I make a joke about it feeling like I was walking into a jail. Have a look through the video and you'll see what I mean!

After being buzzed into the shared hallway I made my way to a small door at the end of the hallway covered in logos, knocked on the door, and was politely ushered into guitar nirvana land.



Brian has so much cool gear packed into such a tight space (it is Hong Kong after all) that I almost felt as if I'd walked into the guitar shop version of the Tardis from Doctor Who. After my initial shock I settled into the serious task of finding an expression pedal and control pedal for my Fractal Audio AX8. Brian was the man and produced a shiny new Mission Aero EP-25-PRO and a CAJ mini control box. While he was searching for those items I busied myself by playing both of his customised personal pedalboards. Among other things Brian is also a master pedalboard builder and the fruits of his labour are nestled in front of a fine selection of amplifiers and freely available for those that brave the jail-esque entrance to play and enjoy. 


Brian and I shared a jam and a chat and then sadly it was time for me to head back to Shekou for my gig. I totally recommend checking out Uni-Sound if you're passing through Hong Kong and have some time to head out from the hustle n bustle of the city centre to Diamond Hill. Brian will be moving premises in the next month or so but just like their facebook page and you'll be able to find them easily enough!


























No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers