Tuesday 25 September 2012

To Guitar or not to Guitar?

To guitar or not to guitar? That dear reader is the question!


I have been playing guitar for 24 years and during that period I have been asked countless times about how I make a living doing what many people may have dreamed of doing when they were younger or as the case may be, dream of doing when they are older or indeed right now!

To answer the question is quite lengthy so in true form, I'm going to start at the end.

2000- 2012: FULL-TIME PROFESSIONAL GUITARIST

Current location: Osaka, Japan
Gig: The Lobby Lounge, The Ritz Carlton
http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/Osaka/Default.htm
Position: Singer/guitarist



At the present time my fiance and I perform in one of Japan's most exclusive five-star hotels. The hotel pays for our flights and visas from New Zealand to Japan, and back to New Zealand at the conclusion of the contract. Our contract is six months in duration, during which we are expected to perform six nights per week from 7pm until 10:40pm, doing four sets interspersed with three- twenty minute breaks.

We live in the hotel and enjoy many perks that standard employees are not privy to, such as free meals, a washing allowance, free internet and more.

We are paid monthly in tax-free US$ and we are able to save most of it because we don't have any expenses apart from personal expenses such as entertainment, eating outside of the hotel, sightseeing etc.

1996-2000: SEMI-PROFESSIONAL MUSICIAN

Location: Torere, Opotiki, Whakatane, Edgecumbe, Kawerau, Auckland
Gig: Teaching, numerous weddings, bars, pubs, clubs, concerts, tours
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtYa06AywE4&feature=g-upl
Position: Teacher, roadie, farmer, student, semi-professional musicain



Hmmm, how do I define a semi-professional musician? I believe a semi-professional musician is someone that is performing live on a regular basis, maybe a few times per week, but isn't quite earning enough money to quit their day-job and become a full-time professional.

Sixteen years ago that was me. I was doing fairly regular work in a band and picking up the occasional wedding gig or doing the odd solo or collaborative concert here and there. My other occupation at the time was.....teaching guitar.
At various times I was teaching at as many as five Secondary schools (ages 12-18), privately from home or traveling to students' homes, and for various private institutions.
I entered and exited two serious relationships during that time and I also somehow managed to gain a very handy qualification from the Trinity College of London- an LTCL in Classical guitar performance (with Distinction).

http://www.trinitycollege.co.uk/

Not long after I gained that qualification my second relationship ended. So I quit teaching, sold all of my cows (I was also rearing calves at the time), packed my trusty Mitsubishi Legnum stationwagon with a large part of my worldly belongings and headed to Auckland, New Zealand's largest city with the hope of becoming a full-time, pro guitarist.

I duly moved into a house in Auckland with a cousin of mine who was an aspiring song writer/singer. We did some work together and a couple of mini-tours around New Zealand. During my time with him I advertised myself on a website for musicians which was started and administered by a local music instrument retailer known as "The RockShop"

http://www.rockshop.co.nz/

Lo and behold after two months of very little work, and my savings almost depleted I received the call that changed my life and propelled me almost instantly into the highly coveted world of full-time musicianhood.

A New Zealander called me from Shanghai, China. He told me he was leading a professional, touring band of Kiwis (colloquial term for 'New Zealanders') and that their guitar player was leaving. Thus, they were searching for a replacement. He had seen my advertisement on that website and decided to call me.

He asked if I was available to do an audition in two weeks time in Wellington. He gave me the date and I couldn't believe that it was the same day as Joe Satriani's only performance in Auckland to which I had bought tickets to only days before. Nonetheless, poverty has a way of making you see straight and I decided that watching Joe Satriani was not going to help my financial woes or see me into the realm of full-time work as a guitarist, so without hesitation I agreed to do the audition.

Fast forward two months:

Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Gig: Ramee Regent Palace, Rockbottom Cafe
http://www.timeoutdubai.com/bars/reviews/2734-rock-bottom-cafe
Position: Full-time guitarist for "Native Soul"

Working the crowd in Rockbottom, Muscat, Oman


To guitar or not to guitar? TO GUITAR!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers